Maybe you’re an occasional vape user – chances are you’ve heard the terms vaporizers and e-cigs tossed around interchangeably. We’ve all seen it – on the streets, in stores, and even in the hands of our favorite celebrity.
But what exactly is the difference between a vaporizer and an e-cig?
Vaporizers and e-cigarettes (also known as electronic cigarettes) are both devices that allow users to inhale nicotine or other substances without burning tobacco. If you’ve been curious about the difference between the two and which might fit you and your needs better, you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s get one thing straight: a vaporizer is not an e-cigarette. Sure, they both produce vapor, but a vaporizer is more like a fancy oven for herbs or concentrates. You heat up your material using either convection or conduction (we’ll leave the science-y stuff to Bill Nye), and out comes a delicious cloud of goodness.
There are many different types of vaporizers, but some basic components and principles apply to most of them:
- Heating Element: The heating element is what heats up the vaporized substance. It can be made of various materials, such as ceramic, stainless steel, or quartz. Some vaporizers use conduction heating, where the substance is heated by direct contact with the heating element, while others use convection heating, where hot air is passed over the substance.
- Chamber: The chamber is where the substance is placed for vaporization. Depending on the type of vaporizer, the chamber may be filled with dry herbs, wax, oil, or e-liquid.
- Power Source: Vaporizers need a power source to heat the heating element. Some vaporizers use rechargeable batteries, while others need to be plugged into an outlet.
- Inhalation Method: The user inhales the vapor produced by the vaporizer through a mouthpiece or a hose. Some vaporizers have adjustable temperature settings and other features that allow users to customize their experience.
Are you the only one in your friend group who doesn’t know what an e-cig is? Fear not, my fellow unenlightened friend! E-cigs are simply electronic cigarettes, which have become increasingly popular over the past decade. These devices work by heating a liquid (known as e-juice) to produce a vapor that can be inhaled.
Now, before you go out and buy an e-cig, you should know a few things. For starters, there are two main types of e-cigs: disposable and rechargeable.
- Disposable ones are pretty straightforward – once the battery dies or the juice runs out, it’s time to toss ’em.
- Rechargeable ones, however, require a bit more maintenance but can save you money in the long run.
Differences Between Vaporizers and E-Cigs
E-cigarettes are smaller and more compact than vaporizers, and they are typically designed to look and feel like traditional cigarettes. They work by heating up a liquid (called e-liquid or vape juice) that contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals. The user then inhales the resulting vapor. Some e-cigarettes are disposable, while others are rechargeable and can be refilled with new e-liquid.
Vaporizers, on the other hand, are larger and more powerful devices that are typically used for vaping hemp, CBD, or other herbs. They are also sometimes called “vape pens” or “vaporizer pens.” Vaporizers work by heating up the substance being vaped (which may be a liquid, wax, or dry herb) to a temperature that vaporizes it but does not cause it to burn. The user then inhales the resulting vapor.
Overall, while both vaporizers and e-cigarettes are used for vaping, the substances they are designed to vaporize and the way they work are different. E-cigarettes are typically used for nicotine vaping, while vaporizers are often used for hemp or other herb vaping.
Which is Best for You?
Now that you’ve been informed on what the differences are between a vaporizer and e-cigs – which do you think is the best for you? If you’re still unsure, stop by any of our locations in Omaha and talk to our knowledgeable and friendly staff. We’ll show you why 42 Degrees is the best shop in Omaha! And while you’re here, check out our Loyalty Program, where you can earn some pretty amazing rewards for your purchases!